Thursday, June 19, 2008

Reinforcing Acceptance

This morning was another opportunity for me to reinforce my children's acceptance to all differences in people's lives. My son said something about having a boyfriend and my daughter said, no you can't have a boyfriend, you have to have a girlfriend and I'll have a boyfriend.

I went up to her and reminded her that a boy can have a boyfriend because boys can fall in love with each other just like girls can. I went on to explain as simply as possible about the fact that there were people that weren't so accepting and can be a bit mean about it, but it is always important to be friends with people no matter who they love or the colour of their skin or where they are from.

Her responses were so adorable. Straight after I said the first part she said to me "I know that mummy", as if I was being silly to remind her of something so obvious. In regards to being accepting of people regardless of the colour of their skin or where they were from, her reply was that she likes people who look different and people from other places because they can teach her things.

She has such a wonderful view on life, I really hope that she's not effected by any teasing when I eventually come out. She has a distant cousin with 2 mums, so I may get them to play together a bit more when I come out so my daughter has someone closer to her age to talk to!

No comments: