Monday, June 16, 2008

Concerns about coming out Part 1

I'm a very open person, what you see is what you get basically. 

The last couple of years of my marriage caused a lot of stress for me because not only was I dealing with the end of a relationship and a new awareness of my own sexuality, but I had to hide it as I didn't want there to be any problems if a miracle occurred and my ex and I managed to work things out. 

The relief I felt when I didn't have to hide my feelings about my marriage anymore was enormous. It felt like a huge weight had been taken off my shoulders.

However, it's now 'off with the old and on with the new'. This new load isn't quite so heavy, but it does leave me feeling frustrated. 

I am so happy with the direction my life is now going in that I don't want to keep it to myself. I'm definitely not one to stay in the closet for long. Personally I couldn't care less about what anyone thinks of me. I spent too long being unhappy to let anyone else dictate how I should live my life... but I do worry about the impact to my children, and I do stress a bit at coming out to my parents.

I decided to write down what my worries were in the hopes I can figure out how to approach the situation.

My Coming Out Concerns...
1) Can my kids cope with this on top of dealing with the separation?
2) Will it cause my kids problems at school?
3) Will my ex cause problems which will effect the kids once he finds out?
4) My parents
5) My friends

I think they are the main ones for now, I'm sure there will be more I need to work through once I've worked through these.

I'm going to sleep on it, and blog about Concern #1 tomorrow!


No comments: